No builder designs a home to have water in the basement. However, over the years, the foundation can shift, the parging and membrane can crack or separate, water can seep into the landfill around your home, or the window wells can develop leaks. It can happen to any home……at any age!
Unfortunately, the damage does not end with the water alone. And the water does not have to be knee deep in your basement to cause you problems. A wet or damp basement can be a serious source of mold, mildew and bacteria. The bacteria that thrive in a moist basement can pose a serious health hazard to family members who play or work in the basement area. Mold Spores may also be vented to the above living quarters via air duct systems.
Fungus and mildew in a damp basement can contribute to chronic colds and respiratory ailments. Further hazards exist such as termites or rodents invading your home through foundation cracks, or electrical appliances or wiring coming in contact with seeping water.
All of the above problems can cause serious damage to your family’s health and greatly decrease the value of your home.